Libertyville High School competed in the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Boys Swimming Sectionals at Vernon Hills High School this weekend, with a number of swimmers advancing to the state meet.
Alex Snarski broke a record in the 100 backstroke that was previously set by Olympic Gold Medalist Matt Grevers, with a time of 50.04. A number of other records were broken at the meet, including Vernon Hills' Alex Zuniga receiving a score of 470.80 in diving, which is 12 points higher than the previously-set record, according to the IHSA.
Overall, LHS received 256 points, coming in just behind sectional winner Lake Forest High School, which received 263 points.
Here's a look at how LHS performed at the sectional meet:
- LHS won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:35.39. The team also won the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:26.94, and took 2nd place in the 400-yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:09.06.
- Junior Pat King took 5th place in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:45.31.
- Junior Atticus Rush won 3rd place in the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:58.02.
- Sophomore Matt Harrington took 2nd place in the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.28. He also took 2nd in the 100 butterfly with a time of 49.48.
- Juniors Trey Stewart and Jack Carmichael took 7th and 8th place, respectively in diving, with times of 315.4 and 302.35.
- Junior Alex Snarski took 4th in the 100 butterfly with a time of 50.98. Snarski also took 1st in the 100 backstroke with a time of 50.04.
The state finals are set for Feb. 22-23 at New Trier High School in Winnetka.
Do you have any photos you'd like to share from the sectional meet? Or do you plan to attend the state meet and want to share photos from the event? Contact Editor Korrina Grom at email@example.com!