“What? Why aren’t you eating?” “Your skin looks amazing!” “You look so great!” These are just a few of the comments that I get from my patients and my friends who are amazed when they learn that my “secret” is actually my commitment to participate in my bi-annual cleanse. (Cleansing with the change is seasons is a good rule of thumb!)
“Garbage in, garbage out!” is the phrase we use to clean up our computer to get it working more quickly and efficiently. We clean our houses, cars, change the oil, clean our drawers & garages, and every new year we make resolutions to clean out our lives and psyches to make our lives better. However, the one thing that should be cleansed at least annually is our most important asset; Our body!
Why should we cleanse? Cleansing allows our bodies to reset so that we can recharge ourselves. A cleanse is a health regimen that helps remove toxins from your system. There are a number of different types of cleanses; I always do a whole body cleanse, but others are more specific, focusing on specific organs such as the kidneys, liver or even your skin. A cleanse does require a temporary radical change of diet, but the benefits can be amazing!
The benefits of a cleanse may be surprising. Here are the top ways that a cleanse can help “reset” your life:
- Remove Toxins: Even the best intentioned of us eat foods that are filled with processed toxins. Cleansing allows us to begin on a clean slate.
- Break Addictions: Next to removing toxins the most excellent benefit of a cleans is it’s help in breaking addictions. Cigarettes, alcohol and drugs are bad addictions to be sure and if you partake and plan to quit a wellness cleanse will help with the process. But did you know that processed foods and those with sugar are also addictive. A good cleanse can help shift you away from these addictions both physically AND mentally.
- Gain Energy! Removing toxins with a healthy cleanse gets your systems working at their optimal level increasing energy and improving mental acuity!
- Improving Sleep: Removing toxins, sugars and bad fats from our system improves sleep habits and allows our body to reset.
- Weight Loss: Although I don’t feel that weight loss should be your primary reason for cleansing, overall health should, weight loss (usually 5 – 7 pounds per 7 – ten days) is a natural by-product of a safe and consistent cleanse.
There are additional benefits to cleansing including decrease in allergy symptoms, improved fitness, psychological wellness, improved metabolic efficiency, reduced processed food dependency and improved self-confidence.
If you want to know more about the type of cleanse I use, the NovoLife Detox (as I write this I am on day four of 7 and I even passed up a pistachio/raspberry cheesecake from Whole Foods with no tears!), please call our office @847-362-4476. Or, find us on Facebook @ North Shore Pro-Active Health! We are here to educate and support.