Two UMD Students Dead, One Injured in College Park Shooting

Graduate student Dayvon Maurice Green took his life after firing on his roommates, killing one.

Editor's note: Early Tuesday morning, two University of Maryland students were left dead and another injured in a shooting on 36th Ave. in College Park.

Police say that the gunman, identified as 23-year-old graduate student Dayvon Maurice Green, set several fires around his house before shooting two of his roommates when they came outside. One—Stephen Alex Rane, 22, of Silver Spring—was later pronounced dead, while another suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Green then turned the gun on himself, according to police.

News of the incident sent shockwaves around College Park and the UMD community. Find continuous coverage of this story below, or follow the latest from College Park Patch on Twitter and Facebook.

Update, 8:21 p.m.: UMD President Wallace Loh said late Tuesday that the university had been unaware of alleged shooter Dayvon Maurice Green's mental illness and that Green had not been treated at the school.

Update, 6:22 p.m.: Authorities say that one of the two firearms found near Green—a .22 caliber rifle—was purchased legally on Jan. 18 from a gun store in Silver Spring.

The weapon was discovered in a bag along with a bat and a machete, according to police, but it was not actually fired on Tuesday.

Police said the weapon Green used in the shooting was 9mm handgun purchased legally in Baltimore County.

Prince George's County homicide detectives have been working with officials from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to determine the specifics of the guns.

Update, 4:32 p.m.: We run down what's known so far about Dayvon Maurice Green, the apparent shooter in Tuesday's murder-suicide.

Update, 2:29 p.m.: Prince George's County police have identified the suspect in Tuesday's murder-suicide as Dayvon Maurice Green, 23, of the 8700 block of 36th Avenue in College Park.

Green was an engineering graduate student at the University of Maryland who police said had been diagnosed with a mental illness. His family told investigators he had been prescribed medication to treat his disorder.

The victim who died was identified as Stephen Alex Rane, 22, of Silver Spring. Rane was an undergraduate at UMD.

A second victim, also a 22-year-old undergraduate, suffered non-life-threatening injuries and is reportedly undergoing surgery this afternoon.

Two other people live in the house but were not home at the time of the shooting, according to police.

The PGPD released the following description of the incident Tuesday afternoon:

The Prince George's County Police Department is investigating a murder-suicide in College Park.

On February 12, 2013, shortly before 1:00 am, police officers were called to the 8700 block of 36th Avenue for the report of a shooting. Once on scene, police officers discovered three people had been shot.

The investigation reveals the suspect set multiple small fires in and around the backyard of his home. One of his roommates woke up to the flames. He alerted a second roommate. They find the suspect in the back of the home and the three agree to put out the flames. While walking back inside to get water, one of the roommates notices the suspect reaching into his waistband and pulling out a gun. That roommate begins to run. He hears gunshots, realizes he's been hit and runs to a neighbor for help. The other roommate collapses outside of the home after being shot multiple times. The suspect then walks into the backyard and turns the gun on himself.

Police officers recovered a handgun next to the suspect's body as well as a bag of weapons to include a baseball bat, a machete and a fully-loaded semi-automatic weapon and ammunition.

The shooter is identified as 23 year-old Dayvon Maurice Green of 36th Avenue in College Park. Green was a graduate student at the University of Maryland. The victim who collapsed outside was pronounced dead at a local hospital. He is identified as 22 year-old Stephen Alex Rane of Silver Spring. He was an undergraduate at the university. The surviving victim is also a 22 year-old undergraduate. He has non-life threatening injuries.

Homicide detectives are working closely with the ATF to determine when and how the guns were purchased.

UMD President Wallace Loh, who spoke to reporters outside of the home where the shooting occurred, called it a "great tragedy for the University of Maryland."

He noted that the university had increased its complement of mental health professionals in recent years but declined to speculate about the specifics of Green's case.

Update, 1:14 p.m.: "Our peaceful community is shaken when such a violent act is committed so close to home," reads a statement from the University of Maryland Student Government Association.

The SGA says a memorial gathering to 'begin the healing process' has been scheduled for 7 p.m. in the Memorial Chapel.

Update, 12:35 p.m.: Prince George's County police say they will release more information on Tuesday's murder-suicide at a 2 p.m. press conference near the scene of the shooting.

Patch will have a full roundup shortly after the conference ends.

Update, 11:16 a.m.: Authorities say two University of Maryland students are dead and another injured after a murder-suicide Tuesday morning in College Park.

According to Prince George’s County Police Department spokesperson Julie Parker, officers responded to the 8700 block of 36th Ave. just before 1 a.m. When they arrived, they found three men suffering from gunshot wounds and a small fire showing from the side of a house.

Police believe the suspect started several small fires in the basement and backyard of the home, which he shared with two other men.

When his roommates came outside to discuss the fires with the suspect, he shot one of them, according to police.

The second roommate attempted to flee the scene but was also shot, officials said. The suspect then went around to the back of the home and took his own life.

One victim was pronounced dead at an area hospital, while the second victim sustained injuries that were not life-threatening. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

The identities of the victims and the suspect have not yet been released, as authorities are still notifying family members of the deceased.

Police say they recovered a weapon at the scene and are not looking for any additional suspects. An earlier report that police were searching for possible shooters in a tan Honda Odyssey turned out to be the result of a miscommunication.

In a statement, University of Maryland President Wallace Loh said he was "shocked and saddened by this morning's tragic events."

"I ask that the entire University of Maryland family come together during this time of grief," he added. "On campus, our places of worship and the Counseling Center are open for those who need support and comfort."

Original Story: Authorities say three people were shot early Tuesday morning in 8700 block of 36th Avenue in College Park.

Two of the victims were critically injured, according to an official at the scene. The condition of the third victim was not immediately available.

A tweet from the Prince George's County Police Department described the case as a "death investigation."

Emergency personnel responding to shooting also encountered a small fire on the side of a home in the block, an official said. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze.

In a campus-wide alert sent at 1:16 a.m., University of Maryland police said one or more suspects in the shooting were spotted in a tan Honda Odyssey.

A PGPD spokeswoman said she did not have any information on the incident yet but was en route to the scene.

Al Day February 18, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Absolutely, right on. If it wasn't a gun it would be a bomb or knife or brick. We need to feret out the nut jobs. I remember a friend who needed mental help in the 60's and was easily able to obtain that care. Not now, though due to political correctness. Now it's considered cruel to hospitalize a mental job.
patricia February 18, 2013 at 06:38 PM
No but the so called "doctor" who prescribed him the meds should have been the one to alert authorities that this guy way mentally unstable. He set a fire to draw them out, then shot them down, stop trying to make HIM the victim.
Zahra Riaz March 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM
I think if the mental disorder would have been treated or at least the family would have taken more care of their son, maybe this wouldn't have happened, and he wouldn't have died either... I think that nobody took him seriously, which meant, he didn't have anybody who cared or loved, so that's why he did all this...
Zahra Riaz March 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM
We should not bad mouth the murderer who had probably no idea what a gun was and what he was doing with it... He didn't do it because he wanted too, he didn't know any better because he was going through a mental disorder.
RVN6768 April 12, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Tell that to the families of those murdered


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »