Libertyville District 70 to Check Student Residency

Residents will have to prove they live within district boundaries through real estate bills, mortgage payments, leases and voter registration cards.

Following a trend among Illinois school districts, will begin checking student residency for the 2011-12 school year.

Although not a major issue, every so often the district finds out-of-district students attending schools for a variety of reasons. District 70 must police itself as the district is responsible to make sure only district residents attend its schools, according to state law. To make sure taxpayer money is spent on taxpayer children, district residents with children entering sixth grade will need to provide proof of residency.

More and more school districts are requiring residents to prove they live within district boundaries through real estate bills, mortgage payments, leases and voter registration cards.

“Most school districts are requiring proof of residency these days,” said Kathy Dinger, director of curriculum and instruction. “We do have a responsibility to the taxpayers to make sure their money is spent on children living in the school district. This isn’t wildly abused, but there have been some issues. For example, we've recently encountered families who did not receive registration information sent to the address we have on file and during a follow-up, were unable to prove residency."

Event to Pick up School Schedule, Prove Residency

  • Aug. 15, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., , 310 W. Rockland Road.
  • Aug. 16, noon to 8 p.m., , 310 W. Rockland Road.

Proof of Residency

Two forms of proof are required.

First category of documents showing proper name and address may include:

  • Recent real estate tax bill
  • Mortgage statement
  • Blue assessment card from the Lake County Assessor’s Office
  • Closing statement for purchase
  • Residence of a current signed lease plus proof of last two rent payments (cancelled checked or landlord’s receipts)
  • Lease must list all school-aged children living in premises or a notarized letter from the landlord must accompany the lease; landlord’s name, address and phone number must be on the lease.

Second category may include:

  • Gas, electric or water bill in the last 60 days (limit one utility bill)
  • Telephone bill in the last 60 days (land line only)
  • Car insurance or car registration
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Public Aid Card.

Information submitted by Libertyville Elementary District 70.

Donny August 07, 2011 at 01:33 PM
Why just 6th grade? Why not every even grades 1st thru 8th?
Robin Smith Kollman August 10, 2011 at 03:04 PM
District 70 officials thought students moving into sixth grade in a new school was a good place to start for checking proof of residency. The program, in its first year, may be expanded to other grades in the future.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something