Community High School District 128 teachers and students were honored on Monday night. Distinguished Service Awards were given to student athletes, honorable teachers, and nine newly nationally board-certified teachers.
“While state teachers credentialing programs set the basic requirements to teach in each state, national board-certified teachers must demonstrate advanced teaching knowledge, skills, and practices,” said Associate Superintendent Dr. Al Fleming.
The newly certified teachers bring the district’s total to 12 national board-certified teachers.
The teachers include:
- Maggie Castelyn, science teacher;
- David Kahn, science teacher;
- Laura Guiard, international languages teacher;
- Katie Hyla, family and consumer sciences teacher;
- Kristin Tarrant, family and consumer sciences teacher;
- Joyce Kleinheinz, physical education teacher;
- Andrea Lara, social studies teacher;
- Lauren Rust, social studies teacher;
- Patricia Nora, English teacher.
Also honored Monday was dance instructor Erin Brown. She recently was named the Midwest Dance Educator of the year by the Midwest District of American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, and will go on to compete for the national award in Boston in March 2012.